Whiteford near Stoke Climsland

Bones in the Belfry home page

William Mitchell established a farm called Whiteford in Australia.  James Mitchel's 1901 census entry provides the origin of the name Whiteford. They are living in Stoke Climsland Cornwall.  Two houses down the road, the road name entered changes  from Stoke Village to Whitford. Various sites on the web have more information.

Picture is from Callington Pictures from the Past
           See below

Extracts from a document Stoke Climsland Conservation Area Character Statement

    To the west of Stoke Climsland was Whiteford estate. A large new mansion was built in 1775 by Sir John Call, and the surrounding park laid out to include a boating lake and Palladian bridges. The estate was acquired by the Duchy in 1879 and Whiteford Mansion was demolished in 1912. The parkland and some garden structures survive from that era. Whiteford Temple, then used for banquets, is a landmark feature on the hillside, visible from the centre of Stoke Climsland.
    The Duchy Home Farm was built as a model farm in 1913, at the northern edge of the park, probably on the site of an earlier structure. Much of the material for the building was reused from the demolition of Whiteford Mansion. An old pathway runs from the Home Farm to the village. To the north of the centre of the village the Duchy later built a series of artisans
cottages around the green.
    The principal approach into the village from the south leads uphill past Whiteford Park and finally through a tree canopied section of road past the old Rectory. A local footpath cuts through t o b e
Lower Town along the southern boundary of the old Rectory garden. A local footpath cuts through to the Lower Town along the southern boundary of the old Rectory garden. Arriving in the centre, the initial view is of the Sports Club with the War Memorial and the tall bellcote gable of the Old School immediately beyond. Looking back, there is a fine view of Whiteford Park.
    Beside Hillside, a footpath leads away from the village across farmland down to Duchy Home Farm. The avenue of mature sweet chestnuts leading to the front of the farmstead is a feature of  vistas and glimpses from the footpath and several other viewpoints on the west side of the village. The maintenance of the open nature of this area has allowed the historic visual link between the village and the old Whiteford estate to endure.
  To the west of Lower Town is a new house, Foundry House, which is faced with imitation stone blocks. The old bellfounders yard was in this area. There are significant views from the lane fronting these properties across to Whiteford, where the temple garden building is clearly visible on the hillside.
Folk Festival
"A stunning arched auditorium set within beautiful parkland provides the venue for the Whiteford Music Festival"     "Surrounded by rolling hills, and with views across Stoke Climsland to the moors of Dartmoor beyond, Whiteford provides a truly unique setting. The festival has been short listed to the final twelve in a national competition."
 Link to site

Extracts from the Google site on Whiteford House

    In 1775 John Call, High Sheriff of Cornwall, built Whiteford House, and he built it on a grand scale both inside and out:  Inside it was lavishly designed and decorated with elegant staircases and chimney pieces, a fine plaster work boudoir, delicately painted shutters, and even a looking glass room in which, according to local tale, an unfortunate post boy was briefly imprisoned by saucy parlour maid!
    Outside, the already magnificent views of Dartmoor and Kit Hill were complemented by fountains, and a walled fruit garden that must once have rivalled that at Heligan.
    Whiteford stayed in the Call family until 1870 when it went briefly to Andrew Montagu and finally into the Duchy of Cornwall ownership 1879.
    The turn of the century saw the house fall into disrepair and, in 1913, the Duchy ordered its demolition, much of the granite being used for buildings now occupied by nearby Duchy College.  However, the servant’s quarters of the original house stayed in occupation by Duchy staff until 1968 when the buildings were condemned by death watch beetle.
    During the 20th century, children in the local community also enjoyed the grounds as they provided the venue for the annual Cub and Scout camp.  In fact some standing stones that were laid out as a Scout chapel can still be found within the grounds. 
Link to site   

Extracts from Archeology Alive Site

Although the majority of Whiteford's parkland (89 hectares) lies within the ownership of the Duchy College twoimportant areas are owned privately: the site and remains of Whiteford House and its surrounding complex of buildings; and the Temple, a late 18th-century ornamental building originally used as a sort of summer house, which is owned by the Landmark Trust. Both of these properties are being carefully restored and maintained. Three sites beyond the parkland were also studied as important peripheral landscape elements related to Whiteford: two plantations and Sir John Call's folly on the summit of Kit Hill. Sir John Call in the later 18th century made Whiteford the most significant landscape park in this part of Cornwall. It would have stood out from a landscape that was otherwise devoted to farming and mining as an elegantly designed park. The house and temple were not only eye-catchers but also places from which great vistas opening out down the Luckett valley were to be seen. From these places the views were carefully framed and enlivened by groves, plantations, and scattered trees, that extended down beyond a long curving ha-ha to serpentine lakes in the eastern valley. Long views took in the purple hills of Dartmoor and more local ones were to Stoke Climsland church and the hulking mass of Kit Hill. The park was maintained and even extended in the 19th century but the Call family fortunes turned in the
late Victorian period. By the early 20th the house was abandoned and then demolished and the parkland became part of the Duchy's home farm at Stoke (now the base for the ever-expanding Duchy College). Not all was lost from the park - the temple survives, as do many of the original scattered trees. The ha-ha is a clear earthwork and the lakes have been recently cleared and re-watered. The essence of Whiteford Park survives but in a degraded condition
Link to Site

Callington Pictures from the Past

Source of the Whiteford picture. Also has a picture of Stoke Climsland and Venrerdon
Link to site

Sir John Call

    Sir John Call (1732-1801), born to a Launcells family, spent 20 yearsin India flourishing and making his fortune. He gained considerable experience of military engineering and could have advanced to Governor of Madras but for the death of his father impelling a return to England in 1770. He had already acquired the Whiteford estate in Stoke Climsland, and once in occupation, he soon married, and rebuilt the house as a mansion.
Link to site

Research Notes

 Interestingly, my Google search found nothing prior to the arrival of Sir John Call. However the will of Tristram Bowhay 1605 mentions articles in the house at Whiteford.


Thanks to Di Gibbs, OPC for Stoke Climsland, who prompted  me to check the internet for Whiteford House.

If you have additions or corrections to this page, please contact us      Bones in the Belfry home page      Page last updated - 29 Jun 2007