Ernest Mitchell and Leila Roach
Parents : William Mitchell and Ellen
Adelaide Cubit Richard Reid Roach and Hannah Vine
Ernest Harold Mitchell (b 1887 Whiteford, m Leila Muriel Roach 1914
Kew, d 1960 Wodonga)
Leila Muriel Roach (b 1893 North Sydney, d 1972 Wodonga)
Their son Albert was killed during
the World War II.
Link to Albert's page
Note her name is spelt Leila on her birth and marriage certificates
and Liela on her headstone.
Notes from Jenny Mitchell
Leila lived at 60 Church St, Hawthorn in 1907 (address from George
Bates Postcard). Leila lived in two houses in Denham
St, then 87 Barkers Road before her marriage
Leila Roach visited Henry Bates at Geelong (Drumcondra) in 1907,
when photo was taken. In the Bates book p216 it is stated to
be of Allinda Bates & George Ford Bates and dated c 1910.
Wedding invitation was issued by Mr & Mrs Roach for their
daughters wedding, but reply was to Mrs Roach Barkers Road Kew.
In 1910 Leila Roach visited Frank and Annie Terrill's at Springdale
and met Ernie Mitchell. (Tyrrell?)
At one stage Ern and Leila lived in Bethanga just below the school
(in the 1920s?). The children went to Springdale when it reopened in
1927, before that they went to Bethanga.
After buying Len out, Ern let Whiteford for three
years and moved to a rented home in Bethanga. (Elsie started school.
Then bought a very nice home next to the school. Ern worked driving
grocer's cart. When the lease was up at Whiteford, they moved back,
selling house in Bethanga. The reason and financial basis of this is
not clear, but possibly Leila as an ex city girl unused to farm
life, grew restless (lack of social activity). Ern and Len bought
the girls out and took over management.. Len and Ern both married,
and the house was divided in two. Then in 1918 Ern
bought Len out. (Len went to Climsland)
Ern stayed till about 1930.
c1918 House in
Bethanga. Ern worked on Grocer's cart for Harris's store. Delivered
Granya, up Mitta valley.
c1930 Riverview 4 mile on the
Bethanga road side of Tallangatta)
Ern and Leila had nine moves. "Never stayed in one place much more
than three years".
c1933 Deloraine bought on the flat near Tallangatta, and flooded
by the Hume weir upgrade in the 50s
c1936 Glencorrie, Huon. Ern bought Huon, Bob stayed on at
Deloraine, renting from the Commission.
c1943 Glendale, at House Creekjust out of Wodonga
c1953 Williams St in Wodonga .
c1956 Havelock St
In May 1972 Leila Roach had a hip operation at St John of God
Hospital Ballarat, but died that night of a blood clot, resulting
from the operation.
Notes from Bob Mitchell 2001
youngest son and stayed on at Whiteford. At some time after his
marriage he rented a house in Bethanga, and share farmed the property
Whiteford. This was not successful, and he returned there
until 1931, when he was forced off the land by building of the
Hume Weir. He then rented a property Riverview and stayed there
about 5 or 6 years. He then moved to Deloraine downstream from
Tallangatta on the Mitta Mitta flats in 1936 or 1937. This
was the old Tatonga homestead. Unfortunately this property too was
resumed by the Water Commission for flooding by the Hume weir, so
he then purchased a property at Huon above the railway station. He
lived there during the war years. After the war he sold and moved
to a property at House Creek, a few miles south of Wodonga. He
lived there until he retired in the 50's, when he moved to
Wodonga, initially working in the Wodonga saleyards as a gateman.
When his father moved to Huon, Bob remained on at
Deloraine, just out of Tallangatta, and farmed it. Initially his
sister Elsie kept house for him, and then he married Ruby. He
remained there until the water commission decided to flood
Tallangatta, moving the town to the new site some miles downstream
on the side of the Hume weir. At that time he bought a
property in the Kiewa Valley near Kergunyah, and farmed that until
he retired to the Tallanagatta township. He continued to graze
cattle on Kiewwa river flats until 2001.
Particularly Fred and Bob Mitchell (Ernest and Leila's sons), Jenny
If you have additions or
corrections to this page, please contact
us Bones in the Belfry home page
Page last updated - 28 Oct 2007