John Jose and Elizabeth Hooper

Bones in the Belfry home page

Parents   :       Digory Joce and Phillip Marke                Elizabeth's parents not known

John Jose b 1650 Lesnewth Cornwall, m Elizabeth Hooper  1675 St Minver Cornwall, d 1699 Lesnewth)
Elizabeth Hooper (d 1737 Lesnewth)
    John Jose (b 1689 Lesnewth, m Agnes Gimblett 1722 St Juliot Cornwall, d 1772)
         Mary Jose (b 1741 Lesnewth, m Charles the Giant Chilcott 1768 St Juliot, d 1819)
               Langford Chilcott (b 1769 Tintagel, m Ann Medling 1800, d 1823 Tintagel) 
                     Charles Chilcott (b 1802 Tintagel, m Mary Strout 1822 Tintagel, d 1869 Launceston Tas)
                           Mary Chilcott (b 1827 Tintagel, m John Cubit 1845 Longford, d 1874 Deloraine Tas)
                                  Ellen Adelaide Cubit (1856 Westbury, m William Mitchell 1880 Sandridge, Melb, d 1937 Wodonga, Vic)
                                         Ernest Harold Mitchell (b 1887 Whiteford, m 1914 Liela Muriel Roach, d 1960 Wodonga)


St Juliot, (Cornish: Sen Julet), is situated in the deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Lesnewth. The parish is located on the North Cornwall coast; it is bounded on the north by St Gennys, on the east by Otterham, on the south by Davidstow and Lesnewth, and on the west by Minster, Forrabury and the Bristol Channel. The Valency river runs westwards through a steep valley in this parish to emerge at Boscastle. The church, dedicated to St Julitta, was the meeting place of the writer Thomas Hardy and his first wife - Emma Gifford. The parish was the inspiration for Endelstow in 'A Pair of Blue Eyes'.
This makes St Juliot only half a dozen miles from Tintagel.
St Minver is about twelve miles SW of St Juliot, about a mile in from the coast


Thanks to Jane OBrien for five generations back of Mary Jose's parents, and other background.

Research Notes

FHO has an Elizabeth Hooper born at Golant 1653, but that is over 20 miles south of St Juliot

If you have additions or corrections to this page, please contact us      Bones in the Belfry home page      Page last updated - 20 Mar 2007